Taste for Health - Summer Squash Tacos
April 19, 2017
During this Taste for Health food demonstration, we made summer squash tacos. This recipe is great because it only requires one pan, but is sure to fill you up!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red or white onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ pound tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ pounds summer squash, cut in small dice (about 4 1/4 cups)
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1 ½ cups cooked white beans, pinto beans or black beans (1 can, drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (more to taste)
- 12 to 14 warm corn tortillas
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- Salsa of your choice
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat and add chopped onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes, and add a generous pinch of salt and garlic. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds, and add tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until tomatoes cook down slightly, about 10 minutes (this could take more or less time, depending on the texture and juiciness of the tomatoes).
- Stir in summer squash, chile, and salt to taste. Cook, stirring, until squash is tender but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans and cilantro and heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Heat tortillas and top with squash mixture and crumbled cheese. Serve with the salsa of your choice.
taste for health 4/19/17