Repurpose - Scrapbook
February 25, 2017
The average American throws away 4.5 pounds of trash a day.
44% of junk mail is thrown away unopened and only 22% is recycled.
To reduce the amount of junk mail that you receive, you can unsubscribe to unwanted mail. Repurposed scrapbooks are a fun and sustainable way to reuse unwanted mail. In this repurposed class we made a scrapbook from recycled material including junk mail and paper shopping bags. This helps to reduce the amount of paper thrown in the trash or recycling, and gives you a fun place to store pictures and other memories.
To make this you only need to collect the old envelopes from junk mail, a paper shopping bag, and two small pieces of cardboard.
- Begin by cutting a very, very, thin strip off the side of 6 envelopes, so one side is open.
- Fold each envelope 1/3 of the way, and stack together.
- Using double sided tape, stick the envelopes together along the folds.
- Decorate the insides with stickers, construction paper, or use press cut outs to make fun designs on the corners.
- Take your shopping bag and measure it to the size of your front and back cover. Be sure you leave enough room around the edges to tuck the shopping bag over to the back side for gluing. You can also use the handles of the shopping bag as handles on your scrapbook.
- Glue or tape the covers of the book onto each front and back envelope.
- Now your scrapbook is ready to be filled with all your memories!
You can keep your scrapbook for yourself, or give it to a friend. You could also decorate and fill it with memories from a specific event, gathering, or full of memories of a special person, and give it to them already filled. By giving the scrapbook to someone else, you not only share the memories within, but also the gift of repurposing.